This may be the shortest yet most complete product review that I've ever done.
What is it?
The Dexcom Share2 Receiver is a continuous glucose monitor that has cloud sharing capability built-in.
What does that mean?
The Dexcom Platinum G4 is a glucose monitoring system. A sensor is placed under the skin. The sensor is in physical contact with a transmitter. The transmitter sends a signal to a receiver. The receiver shows your blood glucose value and trend arrows so you can see the direction and speed that your BG is moving.
The Share2 is an updated version of the Platinum G4 and is exactly the same as the G4 but with one huge addition... it has bluetooth. So now in addition to...
Sensor> Transmitter> Receiver
It can also be setup like this...
Sensor> Transmitter> Receiver> iPhone> Cloud> iPhone
The addition of bluetooth allows your iPhone (Android coming soon) to act as an uploader and that is how others, who you give permission to, are able to see the BG of the wearer. This is excellent for parents, caregivers or a friend that is willing to watch your BG while you have the flu.
Does it work?
In a word - yup. In more words, Yes it does and it works exactly as advertised. I now have access to Arden's CGM data on my iPhone 24/7 with the Dexcom Follow app. I see what she sees.
How do I get one?
All of the upgrade info that you need is contained here in my recent blog post. If you already purchased a Dexcom Share Cradle you will receive the new Share2 for free. Tons of other upgrade details are at the link.
What else do I need to know?
- Setup is a snap, you do not have to be a whiz with computers, apps, or phones to get the Share2 up and running. It took me maybe ten minutes to get Arden's working.
- For the moment it is iOS compatible but Dexcom promises Android by the end of 2015 (I bet it is much sooner).
- We don't see additional battery drain on our phones.
- No more getting out of bed to check a CGM!
- Sleepovers just got a whole lot easier...
- You need two iPhones (or an Internet connected iPods) to make the setup complete.
- Dexcom maintains the cloud, there is no charge for the service.
- I just posted a Juicebox podcast episode all about the Share2, the next generation G5 (Same cool cloud stuff but you won't need a receiver if you would rather use your phone to see your BGs).
- Where can I get the Share and Follow apps? On the iTunes Store. Be sure to get Share2 (Share was for the cradle).