Dexcom Share2: What is it? How do you get one? When will it ship?
What is it?
The Share2 is a Dexcom G4 Platinum receiver with bluetooth capabilities. You may hear it referred to as the Dexcom Share2, G4 Platinum with Share or Bill (I made that last one up).
With bluetooth built in, the Share2 receiver will be able to send your Dexcom sensor information directly to an iPhone or iPod touch. Why do you care about that? I''ll tell you...
After you install the new Dexcom Share app from the Apple app store onto an iPhone or Touch that will remain with the Dexcom wearer, the information being sent to that device will be magically transported to Dexcom's cloud server where it can be redistributed (if you want) to loved ones, caregivers, parents and if you heard my recent podcast interview with NASCAR driver Ryan Reed... even your pit crew chief - as long as they have an iPhone or touch with the Dexcom Follow app installed.
If you are more of a visual learner... check out this handy diagram I borrowed from Dexcom.com
How do I get it?
If you previously purchased the original Dexcom Share cradle you will be upgraded to the Dexcom Share2 for free.
- Purchased G4 PLATINUM Receiver after January 1, 2015 — FREE upgrade to Dexcom G4 PLATINUM Receiver with Share
- Purchased G4 PLATINUM Receiver between March 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014 — Eligible to upgrade to Dexcom G4 PLATINUM Receiver with Share for $199
- Purchased G4 PLATINUM Receiver before March 1, 2014 — Insurance or cash pay prices will apply
Upgrade offers are good through April 30, 2015 - Orders can be placed beginning March 2, 2015 at 1-888-738-3646 or on Dexcom.com
When will it ship?
Dexcom is anticipating shipment to begin on March 2, 2015. It's posted on their website so I'd say that's pretty much a certainty even though they use the word 'anticipated' - I'd bet that just CYA. I'd be comfortable betting that it'll ship in three days from today on March 2nd.
Other stuff you may be wondering...
- Dexcom G4 PLATINUM Receiver with Share is approved for both adults and children as young as 2 years old.
- Your supply of sensors and current transmitter work with the Share2.
- If you are currently using the Share cradle, your Share app will need to be upgraded.
- The Follow app remains unchanged.
- Other than previous statements from Dexcom that it is being worked on and expected to be available soon, No word about when Android compatibility with be available.
- The Dexcom cloud service is free.
- Share2 does not need to be plugged into an electrical source, totally portable.
- Previous statements from Dexcom indicate that running the Share and Follow apps won't drain your iPhone/Touch batteries significantly.
- Existing Cradle owners will be contacted by email but must call Dexcom to initiate upgrade process.
- (updated info) No preorders. Ordering begins March 2, 2015